Where am I now?

in the City of Churches (inthecityofchurches.blogspot.com)

Check it!

ps. NZ photos coming soon! Watch this space!

Sunday, October 01, 2006

Westland

I am sitting in front of a central wood-fuelled fireplace about 733m above sea level, in a town called Arthur's Pass up amongst the Southern Alps. This is the highest settlement in NZ, and as expected in high-altitude mountainous areas, it is quite cold and the relatively low-lying clouds have been pouring rain all day (hence the log fire). A little bit of (light) tramping was on the activities list today on a track called the Devil's Punchbowl; the main feature of which is a spectacular 131m high cascading waterfall that flows all year round. Unfortunately, part of the track was closed due to "renovations" and so walking to the base of this water feature was prohibited.
Backtracking a few days, the 4 1/2 hour TranzAlpine trip was spectacular. It's amazing the variety of scenery available over only a few hundred kilometres of travelling. From miles of luscious dark green forest areas covering entire mountain sides, to the huge, snow-capped rocky alps up to 2400m, to completely flat farming areas equipped with cows and sheep, to rivers and massive serene clear-blue lakes (sometimes all visible at once). Many a photo was taken.
Greymouth, on the West Coast, was the destination. Not much to do there apart from a walk up one of the huge hills that form the background setting for this sea-side town (looks as though a lot of walks will be undertaken by moi over the next few months.. I'd better seriously consider purchasing a pair of hiking boots as I think my flat-soled converses will not quite cut it on some of those steep, slippery and rocky tracks that I'll be coming across). I did meet up with Amber (the British chick), however she left on the tour coach the next morning, moving south on what I have dubbed the Magic School Bus. I, on the other hand, decided to head up north (along the most beautifully scenic coastal road I have ever seen) to another small sea-side town called Punakaiki. Here you can take a squiz at what they like to call the Pancake Rocks (I know, the place sounded delectable the first time I heard it too). Over millions of years, through a layering and weathering process known as stylobedding, the limestone rocks have formed into what appear (using some imagination) to be huge stacks of pancakes towering out of the sea. Another speccy feature were the geyser-like blow holes that arise around times of high-tide when water surges into caverns and is forced upwards through natural tunnels to the surface. In the middle of forest area was the village-style Te Nikau Retreat, where I stayed that night. I have to say, it would have to be one of the best (and most secluded and serene) backpackers you could hope to ask for.
The next day, moving a little further north to Westport, I hired a bike and rode to a known seal colony about 20km out of town. I know I could easily see seals in Adelaide, but it gave me a good excuse to hire a bike for the day; and what a lovely day it was (I have been really lucky with weather over here so far, apart from maybe today [but it has given me a good excuse to jump on the net for a bit, and will be nice to listen to tonight], let's hope it stays that way.. touch wood).
Unfortunately, this computer doesn't have a USB port so I'll have to wait until I get to my next destination (wherever that may be) to upload some photos. Until then, I leave you with this small, but inspiring quote I found written on a slat under one of the bunk beds I inhabited in Christchurch..

Wisdom need not raise its voice - Anonymous

Photos:
1. Standing in front of the 131m Devil's Punchbowl Waterfall
2. On the way to Greymouth on the TranzAlpine
3. The Pancake Rocks at Punakaiki.. All we need now is some maple syrup

6 comments:

Lee said...

Sounds amazing baby.

I saw a Tool coverband yesterday at...you would never guess where.. the ALMA!! I was just there with George by chance. Luckily I didn't go there for them specifically because they sucked!

Can't wait for your photos xxx

Julie's back home.... but had a fantastic time... said...

The very descriptive describing makes it really easy to picture it all.. feels like we're there! Can't believe you're sitting in front of a wood fire - we're sitting here in shorts and singlet tops... we've been lucky here with the weather too, it's been gorgeous.
Have fun when you next board the Magic School Bus to the next bit of your adventure..
P.S. Love the saying

Nana Gabe said...

Hey good buddy sounds great in the land of the long white cloud know what you mean about usb ports and finding time to blog. what is the night life like?

Nana Gabe said...

Hey good buddy sounds great in the land of the long white cloud know what you mean about usb ports and finding time to blog. what is the night life like?

Anonymous said...

hey man looks like a wicked trip so far... so anyway where are the photos of tits..U said in ur msgs u got heaps..have fun and c u soon

Anonymous said...

hey fucker whats doin? where are these boobies jubbs talkin about? we gotta catch up for a beer when u get back.