Where am I now?

in the City of Churches (inthecityofchurches.blogspot.com)

Check it!

ps. NZ photos coming soon! Watch this space!

Friday, January 26, 2007

the Good, the Bad and the Changing

The Big Day Out rocked!!! The bands were awesome, the atmosphere was great, the weather was quite nice - a little cloud, a little sun. I managed to escape the dreaded sunburn, Nic was not so lucky.. My favourite picks of the day would have to be Little Birdy, The Killers, Muse and (of course) Tool! We missed John Butler (coincided with Tool's set), Eskimo Joe (got there too late) and the Violent Femmes (too tired), but we did manage to hear "Blister in the Sun" playing somewhere in the distance as we left the stadium. It was a shame that The Butterfly Effect are only doing the Aussie BDOs, would have been great to see them. The only downside was that were too many people - this year it sold out 2 weeks in advance (the quickest selling Auckland BDO to date) with an attendance of around 44,000. I had not a sip of a single alcoholic beverage simply because the beer tent lines were too long, not to mention the requirement that you stay within a designated, fenced-off area whilst consuming the alcohol. Even so, it was still such a great day.. And now Nic can proudly say she is no longer a BDO- or Tool-virgin!!
So I hear Sydney BDO-goers ended up draping themselves in the Aussie flag.. Who didn't see that coming? Good on 'em though for getting on with it and just enjoying the music! A law to protect the flag? Bah-Humbug.
One week to go for our Adelaide viewers!

On a completely different note: I made a point recently of saying that my plans are always changing and tend to not come to fruition exactly as I would have thought. Here is another example. Nic will be moving out next Sunday, going up to Auckland to live with a bunch of friends she met in Australia a year ago... Now not even I saw that one coming, or maybe I did. I do wish them all the best and hope they have a ball, but where does that leave me now I hear you think? Well, I hope to complete the remainder of my contract with the Polytech, until the end of March, and then we'll just have to see what happens from then............

One thing I do know is that after having spent such a long time in each other's company virtually 24/7, it will be very difficult to see her go.

Photos:
1. Auckland city from the Sky Tower
2. The Sky Tower with an interesting sculpture in foreground
3. The Big Line Up
4. Rockin' out!
5. The patented Blue and Orange BDO stages
6. TOOL!!!

2 comments:

Rachel said...

I'm so sorry to hear that about Nic. You guys seemed to be getting along so well.
And just what rumour is it you heard??

Julie's back home.... but had a fantastic time... said...

Ahhh... all those things in life we don't see coming.. If I could count up how many of those there have been in life :) Guess they all make us who we are .. whether we think they are good or bad at the time..

Soooooo..... BDO!!! Can't wait!!!