Where am I now?

in the City of Churches (inthecityofchurches.blogspot.com)

Check it!

ps. NZ photos coming soon! Watch this space!

Tuesday, May 15, 2007

4 days, 3 islands

I've spent the last 4 days relaxing in the Hauraki gulf, to the northeast of Auckland, on 3 of the 47 islands that make up the Hauraki Gulf Maritime Park. The first of these was Rangitoto, which I visited on Friday.
Rangitoto was born only about 600 years ago when lava started spewing out of the sea near another island, Motutapu, which was already inhabited by Māori. They watched as this newborn volcano erupted for several years a few hundred metres from their shore before eventually settling down to its extinct state that we see today. Today, the island is covered in lush green vegetation while the ground is still rugged made up predominantly of black solidified lava rocks. I bumped into two fellow Aussie girls and together we walked through some lava caves - very dark and I forgot my torch - then onto the summit to peer into the huge several-hundred-metre-wide crater that was left behind. I proceeded to walk across to the vastly dissimilar Motutapu island - mostly plains and grazing land - for some lunch on the beach. All in all a thoroughly enjoyable day out.
Saturday, I drove up the beautiful Whangaparaoa Peninsula half an hour north of AKL to catch the ferry to my next destination, the birdlife sanctuary Tiritiri Matangi. Our volunteer guide Yvonne was fantastic and we spent most of the day with her as she pointed out birds and explained how the island was transformed in around 10 years from a virtually barron land, following logging and grazing, to now with well over 200,000 trees covering the island. Birds and other animal life have now been reintroduced, and a group of scientists and volunteers constantly monitor animal populations, breeding habits, etc. Such a peaceful place and, like Ulva Island, bird songs can be heard constantly over the entire island. Again, another fantastic and relaxing day. Late afternoon, back on the mainland, I drove to the west coast again to see another beach, this time the secluded and stunning Piha beach with its distinctive centrepiece, the 101m tall Lion Rock, jutting out of the surf.
The third and final island in the gulf that I visited was a much more "touristy" island known as Waiheke. I borrowed a bike from Becs - another AKL flatmate - and spent two days here riding all over the island, checking out the beaches and sights. Only 30 minutes ferry ride from the hustle and bustle of Auckland, this island enjoys a very laid back way of life and is known in particular for its arty atmosphere with many artists and sculptors residing here and showing off their works all over the island. There are loads of permanent residents and plenty more holiday baches making it a relatively busy place, however, for an island of its size. While I was there the weather was not exactly the best, basically no sunlight for the entire time, but I still made use of the beaches anyway. I even slept on the beach in Oneroa bay - the problem with that is it pretty much pitch-black by 1800hr at this time of year so there's nothing to do after this time and so I pulled out my sleeping bag around 2030hr for an early night and subsequent early start the next day. A nice place overall, I can see why people enjoy Waiheke so much, but I guess I prefer something a little more secluded when I'm on an island like that.
And again I am up to date with the blogging aspect of my trip.. I'm moving on from AKL today, heading further south down the west coast. I've really enjoyed meeting the guys here in the flat and just generally enjoyed my time here. I think it's a shame that a lot of people only pass through this city in a day, coming to the conclusion that it's "just another big city." The thing is, as with most places (and anything for that matter), if you only take the time to explore, there is always more than meets the eye....
Photos:
1. On the ferry to Rangitoto
2. The landscape
3. The crater - a little too green don't you think?
4. Three Aussies in a lava cave
5. Relaxing on Tiritiri Matangi
6. This young man took quite an interest in the endangered Takahe
7. Birdwatch: A whitehead
8. Birdwatch again: A tui - very famous, very well known here in NZ...
9. On Lion rock at sunset
10. Oneroa bay at low tide
11. Havin' a ride on the beach - Waiheke island
12. The smallest horse ever.. Two questions: How? And why?
13. Birdwatch 3: A shag drying its wings in the sun

2 comments:

Lee said...

I want photos! :) Islands made out of lava scare me slightly.

Your last comment about passing through cities - apparently people do the same thing in Accra, Ghana - pass through it on their way elsewhere, and not like much about it. It's true that there's more there than meets the eye!

xx

Nana Gabe said...

You must be so fit by now don't you just love volcanoes