Where am I now?

in the City of Churches (inthecityofchurches.blogspot.com)

Check it!

ps. NZ photos coming soon! Watch this space!

Monday, November 13, 2006

Back to Nature

To give you an update on my journal.. Nothing! Almost a week has passed now and I have written it off as a stupid mistake on my behalf. I will buy a new one the next couple of days and start from now..
One thing I forgot to mention was on Wednesday I stopped to take a look at the Pupu Springs on my way to the Farewell Spit. They are NZ's largest natural spring which boast the clearest freshwater in the world. Beautiful!
Thursday I did finally get to Abel Tasman, but not before taking a detour to Wainui Waterfall, passing over a great little swingbridge and nearly killing myself when I slipped on the wet, mossy rocks near the actual waterfall. Fun, fun.. The 6 hour tramp in Abel Tasman was tiresome, but very visually and personally rewarding, with magnificent yellow-orange sandy beaches backing onto lush rainforest and great views over the entire park. I even saw a seal close-up at Separation Point, but I think I got a little close when it started growling at me.. I've never backtracked so quick in my life!
That night I made my way down to St Arnauds in the Nelson Lakes National Park, arriving just before 2200hr. Big day, a total of about 8 hours solid walking.. In the morning I was up early to go for another brisk walk in this park. Two hours later I was standing on top of Mt. Robert (about 1200m above sea level) in what becomes a ski field in the winter, looking over the brilliant blue Lake Rotoiti. It even started snowing while I was up there, and I was only wearing shorts! Brrr.. But again very visually and personally rewarding!
Later on, I took the scenic route down to Arthur's Pass where the weather was, exactly as last time, very wet and cold. Again the wood-fire was raging and I met a great British guy by the name of Scott, who seems to be at exactly the same stage of his trip (and life in general) as myself. Was again a great chilled environment, lovely to relax in.
In the morning, I shot off at about 0830hr towards Christchurch as a stop off on my way to Mt. Cook, where I hoped to do some tramping, as the last time I was there you couldn't even see the mountains due to rain and low-lying cloud. On the way, I passed by Peel Forest, which is one of the most important forest scenic reserves in NZ. There are trees over 1000 years old here, one of which is a Totara tree with a diameter of nearly 3 metres!
The weather was pretty much the same as last time in Mt. Cook when I arrived (even worse with a thunder storm passing over), but the forecast for Sunday was supposed to be much better. And that it was. I awoke in the morning and lo and behold.. clear skies! I set out at 0730hr, with a great German guy by the name of Timo, to the Hooker Valley which the mighty Mt. Cook totally dominates. As we entered the valley (after crossing two more swingbridges), the winds picked up and reached nearly gale force by the time we arrived at the end of the track at Hooker Lake. We had to hide in a crevice under a large boulder as shelter from the wind and hard-hitting rain/ice particles flying through the air. In the lake we found several small icebergs that had recently broken off from the glacier which feeds the lake. Stunning! And the views of Mt. Cook, although partially obstructed by cloud, were unbeatable! The cloud peeling away from the peak looked amazing!
Then it was back to Qtown, which is where I am at the moment.. No, not to stay, but as a stop on the way to Te Anau, leaving in a few hours. My first trip south into Fiordland, very exciting! I have a few loose ends to tie up here, such as getting Tana serviced and posting more fliers in hostels about my Magic Bus Ticket.
On Wednesday, my first proper tramping session begins.. The Milford Track.. It has been claimed that this is the finest walk in the world! And I am so excited for this one as it is one of the few things I really wanted to do here in Aotearoa. Four days, three nights, and a whole lot of waterfalls! Starting at the northern tip of Lake Te Anau, myself and several others work our way though the spectacular Fiordland National Park, 53.5km to a place called Sandfly Point (I wonder what's there?!) in Milford Sound. I've been told to expect at least one day of rain as this area receives 14 days of rain out of the 30 in November. Let's hope the Gods are feeling generous! I'm expecting to be out of mobile range for these 4 days, but who knows, maybe they've decided to put some towers around the park? I'll check that out when I get to Te Anau.
Wish me luck, and some good weather! Oh and Lee, as you suggested, I'll try not kill myself on the track!

I've added a couple of photos to my previous blog aswell.

Photos:
1. Pupu Springs, this picture doesn't do the place any justice, but you get the idea..
2. Watch your step!
3. The Wainui Waterfall (this is just before I slipped!)
4. Serenity in the Abel Tasman
5. Sunbaking anyone?
6. "I made it!" to the top - Abel Tasman
7. Looking over the valleys of Nelson Lakes National Park
8. "I made it!" to the top of Mt. Robert, that is Lake Rotoiti
9. Huh?
10. Sculpture made using metal beams salvaged from the WTC. Donated to the City of Christchurch in memory of the NZ firefighters who lost their lives in the September 11 attacks
11. Damn hippies!
12. Some interesting limestone formations I came across on the road from Arthur's Pass - Kura Tawhiti Conservation Area
13. Timo and I enjoying 'second breakfast' while sheltering from the harsh winds - Hooker Lake, Mt. Cook
14. Mt. Cook in all its glory. See what I mean about the cloud eminating from its peak?

5 comments:

Lee said...

Who took the photos?!?!

Anonymous said...

How many times have i told you to leave those trees alone?? Nice pics.

Julie's back home.... but had a fantastic time... said...

oh you're a funny one bradtke.. oh yeh I forgot you know that already..
how's life going?? work?? house?? family??

Anonymous said...

Yep all is good and a bit busy at the moment, work especially. The house is still standing which is good. I spent all my savings upgrading my car from a 1982 fairlane to a more reliable 1997 falcon so im back to living a bit on the tight side. Nothing much changed with the family. Sorry Paul she doesn't care about you anymore :P

Anonymous said...

hey thats the biggest wood u have had ur hands on...i hope its all going well man