Where am I now?

in the City of Churches (inthecityofchurches.blogspot.com)

Check it!

ps. NZ photos coming soon! Watch this space!

Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Stupid, stupid!!

After writing my last blog entry on Monday night, I inadvertently left my backpack unzipped as I exited the internet cafe. It wasn't until the morning that I realised my journal (the one I had just brought up-to-date a few days earlier) was missing. I searched frantically thru my room in the hostel and then ran down the street, retracing my steps from last night. Unfortunately, my journal was nowhere to be seen.. After sticking up posters around town, giving my number to the Police Lost and Found, putting an ad in the newspaper, sending a message to all hostels in Nelson, etc. all I have been able to determine is that someone saw an elderly couple pick it up that night. I have now left Nelson, but have left my number with Alan from Trampers Rest in case he hears anything. I still hold some hope of having it returned, but 2 days on it's not looking good.. In that journal was everything from my last 7 weeks of travelling, the people I have met, the places I have been, etc.. Not to mention a card from Nic. I guess I'll just have to start afresh from now if it doesn't turn up.
I didn't get a chance to do Abel Tasman on Tuesday due to bad weather and the fact that I was putting all of my energy into trying to locate my journal. Today, I worked my way west from Nelson, up to a place called Takaka on the northern end of Abel Tasman. Later on this afternoon, I drove to the Farewell Spit, a 26km long sand formation extending from the shoreline into the sea. Most of this unusual scythe-shaped geological formation is a renowned bird sanctuary - the summer home of thousands of migratory waders from the Arctic tundra - limiting access to guided groups only. I attempted to walk the publicly accessable track around the base of the Spit, but torrential rain forced me to turn back. Tomorrow, the weather is looking a little better, so I will be doing the walk in Abel Tasman from this northern end (apparently it's a nicer walk anyway).

No pictures as of yet (this computer is ancient)...

Photos:
1. Looking quite wet at Farewell Spit
2. Hmmmm, just in case..

4 comments:

Adam and Eva said...

Poor bugger, we're sure it'll make interesting reading for an elderly couple though!

Rachel said...

hopefully once they've read it and recovered from the shock, they'll send it back. You did put your name and address in the front, right? :)

Nana Gabe said...

bugger . Maybe they will publish a book about it.You will become a famous author if only they knew who you were.

Julie's back home.... but had a fantastic time... said...

We all feel your pain :(
But you never never know.. it's amazing what goes around, comes around...