Where am I now?

in the City of Churches (inthecityofchurches.blogspot.com)

Check it!

ps. NZ photos coming soon! Watch this space!

Thursday, February 15, 2007

Taking over the world!

I'm back in Wellington now, and back at work after spending this past weekend in the City of Churches. I was, of course, there for Lee's 21st/going away get up - and what a get up it was! Thousands of people were out on the town.. All of them out in force for Lee! Plus, I got to see my family and a whole bunch of my mates again which was great - not to mention my little furry friends, Jassie Grey and Billie! The big Saturday night was so much fun beginning with dinner at the Tap Inn and then onto First and the Stag to round the night off.. Think I was a little drunk - were you rubbing my upper thigh at some point Ryan?
Sunday came - Lee's actual birthday - and we spent a good deal of time down at Henley beach having breakfast at two in the afternoon after I awoke at midday. Gabrielle and Nick also came down for a coffee which was nice.
Gabby, Nick, Ma, a few of Lee's friends and myself went to the airport to see her off on the Monday.. I'm so proud of her! And frankly a little envious.. I mean Ghana, what an experience and huge culture shock!!! She's in Dubai now actually for a couple of days. Lee, try get on a desert safari!
Tuesday night, I went to see Mike and the Tweeds, and then my crew (you know who you are) came round for a few last beers. See you guys in Europe! And Bradtke, I'm sure you'll be able to see us in Europe from your desk.. Damn spy satellites!
Midday on Tuesday, and back at the airport this time for my farewell. It was just mum and I there which made it hard to leave, but it had to be done - the Polytech and the rest of the North Island was calling (not to mention my bags were already on the plane at this stage). Passing through Sydney on the way, I discovered that Sydney airport is the only one in the world that charges its passengers to travel between the domestic and international terminals.. Australia - always ahead of the competition!!
Going back in time a little: The Tuesday before I made the trip across the Tasman to Adelaide was Waitangi Day here in NZ. On the 6th of February, 1840, at Waitangi in the Bay of Islands, representatives of the British Crown and about 43 Māori chiefs (later extended to over 500 after the document was taken around the rest of the country) signed what is New Zealand's founding document, the Treaty of Waitangi. Essentially it allowed British migrants to peacefully acquire land for settlement purposes and the Crown to set up a government. In return, the Crown were to actively protect Māori tribal authority over their lands, fisheries, forests, villages, treasures and culture and extend to them the status and rights of British citizens. The day was first officially commemorated in 1934 and has been a public holiday since 1974.
The weather was fantastic on Waitangi Day so a whole bunch of us from our flat and neighbouring flats went to New World (a semi-flash supermarket) and bought six 12-packs of beer and a few bottles of wine then cruised down to the beach. From 1100hr to about 1600hr we sat on the beach and I think we all got bloody burnt (which some of you maybe saw when I came back over the weekend). There was some traditional Māori music and dancing nearby, but we had our own jukebox when a random guy sat down with us and started playing 80's and 90's rock classics on his acoustic guitar. Later in the night, after a bit of a chill out, we played a 2-hour game of poker in one of the other flats.. I sucked (as expected) and was the second player out. Drinking from 1100hr (in the sun) right through to midnight really took it out of me, but was an awesome day nonetheless.
So I'm still looking for a flat, with just over a week to go 'til I have to be out.. My phone has also shit itself - the power switch has snapped completely off. I'll hopefully be borrowing one from a mate at work so I can be once again aurally (and orally) contactable - get your minds out of the gutter!

Gabrielle, can you send me that pic of the three of us from Saturday night?

Until then... Peace

Photos:
1. Lee at the airport
2. Lee and Tobias
3. The boys - Micah, Ryan, Me n Jubby
4. Should I be scared?
5. Me, Bee n Ma
6. Lee's B'day
7. And that's just her medication...
8. Who is that?!? - Waitangi Day
9. Pirates of the Wellington Harbour

3 comments:

Julie's back home.... but had a fantastic time... said...

YOU'RE BACK!!! :)Yay!

...I've forwarded you pics from Nick and Gabrielle from the night and Lee's goodbye at the airport.
Oh and Lee DID go on a desert safari last night.. haven't heard yet how it went, but from what she said it was going to be very similar to the desert safaris we have here in Adelaide ;)

We all can't wait for you to get moving again either and continue our exciting episodes of 'Days of Paul's Life in New Zealand'

Nana Gabe said...

How much did it cost to transfer at the airport? I can't believe you had to pay. It was great catching up with you last week. You don't realize how much you miss seeing people you love. Don't forget to save your money this time so you can get travelling sooner.

Anonymous said...

Yo bro! Thanks for saying how awesome I am.. :) You're awesome too. I wish I could get on the net long enough to do a proper blog about Ghana!

Good to hear that you're moving on too. It'll be really good for you...and us! I wanna know more about NZ!!

All my love
x